What should you look for when selecting the best HR Consultant for your business?
- A HR consultant that is part of a team of HR Consultants, you’ll know there is further support and extra resources available if needed.
- When meeting with potential external HR Consultants look for someone you can communicate well with, would assimilate well into your company’s culture and has the desire to build a strong relationship as a trusted adviser.
- A professional capable of understanding the nuances of your industry and organisation.
- A strong track record, talk to their other clients, check out their website for testimonials and their thought leadership in the HR industry or industry affiliations.
- Ensure potential consultants can provide the full life-cycle of HR Functions:
- Recruitment and Induction
- Developing your company’s employee value proposition, remuneration packages and recognition and rewards programs
- Experienced in Employee engagement and culture surveys??
- Performance Management, Values, behaviours and codes of conduct
- Payroll systems
- WHS systems and audits
- Development of policies, procedures and templates
- Fully skilled conversant in Industrial Relations
- Can provide advice on the Fair Work Act, Modern Awards and Unfair Dismissal Claims
- Capable of leading the implementation ofa restructure, downsizing, merger etc. in situations of organisational change
- Demonstrated ability to understand business drivers, your measures of success and business goals, and previous experience contributing to those goals in similar organisations.
- Once you have narrowed down the list, and before you engage the consultant on an ongoing basis. Consider engaging your chosen consultant to initially complete a HR overview of your business in line with your business plan and then review or develop a HR strategy for your business. It is a great way for your consultant to gain a rapid understanding of your organisation and its strengths and weaknesses in managing people and performance.
Even if you don’t need those services at this stage, you may in the future and you need a consultant who is viewing the full picture of your organisation and considering all aspects of HR when making strategic decisions about your people performance and capacity.
Contact Harrison Human Resources for more information on the outsourcing of Human Resource Management.